The Institute of Nanoscience consists of two centers: NEST in Pisa and S3 in Modena.
The main research thematic areas of the Institute are
- Solid-state quantum technology.
- Fundamental and translational nanobiophysics.
- Nanoscale theory modelling and computation.
- Physics and technology of light at the nanoscale.
- Surfaces and interfaces: nanofabrication, imaging, and spectroscopy.
The Institute contributes also to communication and education in the nanosciences.
Characteristic feature of the Institute is the strong collaboration with Universities, in particular with Scuola Normale Superiore and University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, where the Institute centers are hosted, and with national and international research centers and companies. The main peculiarity of the Institute is the presence of an elevated number of research infrastructures at high technological level and the presence of a critical mass of research activities in the framework of Horizon 2020 program (see projects).